Bears like oral sex, pepper spray, and the NIH campus: The Bear News, June 19, 2014
Ever since I took on the persona of a bear — my Twitter avatar is a cub that wandered up to our living room window a few years ago — people send me a lot of news about bears. So I figured I’d share these important tidbits periodically:
- “The bear has two Twitter accounts of its own.” How it managed to tweet and roam the NIH campus at the same time is unclear.
- Pepper spray is definitely better for bears than getting shot in the head.
- Apparently, brown bears like oral sex, says Discover’s Seriously, Science? blog.
- Here, a bear sits for a while with an Alaska Department Of Fish & Game technician.
- What’s it like to go out in the field with bear biologists?
- Bonus: A piece I wrote for the Wall Street Journal in 2008 about what bears can teach scientists about human osteoporosis.